what is coal used for in virginia

Best answer

The coal mined in the Southwest Virginia Coalfield is well suited for a variety of primary uses includingelectricity generation(steam coal), manufacturing coke (metallurgical coal), and supplying other industrial (non-coke), commercial and institutional users.

People also ask

  • How is coal used to generate electricity in Virginia?

  • It is thermal coal, burned to generate steam that spins turbines and dynamos creating electricity. Despite the coal production, Virginia is a net importer of energy; the state is not self-sufficient for petroleum, natural gas, uranium, or electricity: 1

  • What type of coal is found in the Appalachian Mountains?

  • Coal in Virginia Virginia’s Valley and Ridge coal is semi-anthracite, while Appalachian Plateau and Triassic Basin coal is bituminous Source: Virginia Department of Mines, Minerals and Energy

  • How many coal mines are there in Virginia?

  • In 2011, the 49 surface mines in Virginia produced 55% of the state’s coal, while 61 underground mines produced the remaining 45% – but those statistics vary significantly each year, as companies react to market demand and cost of extraction by opening/closing individual mines.12

  • Which states produce the most coal?

  • Of the 25 coal-producing states, Virginia was in the middle for tonnage of production in 2011. Wyoming mined over 20 times as much coal as Virginia. Both West Virginia and Kentucky produced over 5 times as much coal as Virginia.

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *